|Nanakusa-Gayu with side dishes.|
Seven herbs consist of Seri ( waterdrop wort), Nasuna (Shepherd's purse), Gogyo ( Cudweed), Hakobera ( Chickweed), Hotokenosa (Nipplewort), Suzuna or Kabu (turnip), and Daikon (Radish). It is sold in a pack at the supermarket so you do not have to worry of what to buy and look for the seven herbs. It's available as early as from 3 January. There is also in a dry-type, most easy way just add them in a boiled rice before serving. But I recommend using fresh herbs as they are better flavor and more nutritional benefits.
Ingredients (4 servings)
1 cup uncooked rice
7 cups of water
1 pack of nanakusa (seven herbs)
Little salt or soy sauce
|Nanasuka (seven herbs)|
|Nanakusa (seven herbs)|
|1. Wash well and chop it to 2cm size. Separate the turnip and radish with the leaves.|
|2. Pre-boil it in a hot water for 1 minutes for radish and turnip, 30 second for green leaves.|
|3. Drain well and keep it aside ( wash it with cold water if not use it immediately to keep a nice green)|
- Wash rice well for 3-4 water and soak it for 30 minutes.
- Put the rice into cooking pot, add water 7 cups (1:7ratios)
- Bring it to boil and simmer it for 30-40 minutes.
- When it becomes soft add Nanakusa and continued boiling for a while.
- Add little sauce or soy sauce to liking and serve hot.